We all use open-source software, sometimes unknowingly. Developers also integrate open-source software and components in almost everything they build. 𝗛𝗼𝘄𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿, 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝗼𝗽𝗲𝗻-𝘀𝗼𝘂𝗿𝗰𝗲 𝘀𝗼𝗳𝘁𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗮𝗰𝘁𝘂𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗸𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗶𝘀 𝗳𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗲𝗹𝗹 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄𝗻.
This event will take you on a journey to shed light on this subject. We will in particular deep-dive into how XWiki and CryptPad got funded through XWiki SAS, a company that has 50% of its employees in Iași!
What will you learn?
1. The differences between open-source and proprietary software.
2. What business models and licensing options exist.
3. What international fundings for open-source products exist.
4. How you should approach business decisions when building a sustainable and ethical business.
Cost: free, but it requires registration: https://news.xwiki.com/register-for-event
Don’t forget to share this event with a friend interested in building an open-source software business!
Part I – Ștefana Nazare, our host and Product Owner at XWiki
• What is open source and how does it work?
• Business models and licensing in open source
• International fundings for open-source entrepreneurs
Part II – Ludovic Dubost, special guest
• How to build a stable business, integrated into the economy – study case on XWiki SAS & CryptPad
• Q&A session
Part III – Informal networking
• Ștefana Nazare – Product Owner of XWiki Pro Apps & Confluence Migrations Expert.
Ștefana has been a member of the XWiki team for almost 6 years and she specializes in the Client journey and experience, working to offer products and services that enhance customers’ knowledge management and workflows. She is a dedicated promoter of ethical business and is convinced, considering both the Client’s and the developer’s perspective, that open source is the way to go for sustainable, equitable development.
• Ludovic Dubost – founder and CEO of XWiki SAS and CryptPad, with over 10 years of experience in accessing international fundings.
After 10 years in the Internet business as an Architect and later as a CTO, Ludovic decided to build XWiki around Applications Wikis and Collaboration. Nowadays, XWiki is used worldwide by 5000 organizations and is led by XWiki SAS, a 44 people-independent company. Together with his team, Ludovic has also attracted funding for the CryptPad open-source software and cryptpad.fr cloud service, the first privacy by-default end-to-end encrypted real-time collaboration tool.
Ludovic has been a frequent presenter at FOSDEM and also program VP at the Paris Open Source Experience Conference in 2022 and a member of multiple open-source business organizations (Hub Open Source in France, APELL in Europe, and part of the board of Open Food Facts).
This event is for you if:
• You are an open-source and Free Software supporter, and you want to meet other like-minded people;
• You are a user of open source and always wondered how developers live from it;
• You are a developer and have an actual open-source project;
• You want to build a tech business and you wonder whether you should be doing open-source;
• You are interested in European Sovereignty and Technological independence, or Privacy;
• You are just curious about open source;
• You want to learn the difference between an open-source company and any other tech company.